A fantastic opportunity has become available in our Design Office for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer.
Reporting to one of our Lead Mechanical Design Engineers, the successful candidate will take full ownership and responsibility for a variety of complex suspension projects & designs.
Using an analytical approach alongside a high attention to detail to engineering design, the successful candidate will take ownership of major mechanical projects from concept through to design, testing and implementation onto the race car.
- Initiating and implementing the design and development of mechanical and hydraulic suspension assemblies of the highest complexity and to the highest standards
- Specifying and managing the R&D testing programmes for safety and performance critical systems
- Reliability management of assigned systems throughout component life cycle and in support of the team’s reliability function
- Close collaboration with other engineering departments and external suppliers to ensure fully integrated system designs, achieving optimal car performance
- Use of Catia FEA to support your own designs
- Mechanical, automotive or aeronautical engineering degree (2:1 minimum grade) or similar qualification with a high level of experience in F1, another top-level motorsport category or an equivalent high-level engineering industry
- Strong knowledge of current F1 suspension systems, including experience in hydraulic system design
- Structural composite design knowledge (including tooling techniques and materials)
- Experience of Catia V5/3DX mechanical design package. Operating knowledge of Catia Kinematics and surfacing experience would be an advantage
- Experience of using of finite element analysis tools (ideally with Catia V5 package) and hand calculation methodologies to produce reliable and optimised designs
- Basic data analysis and system simulation knowledge would be an advantage
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills to ensure cross departmental integration
- High attention to detail and the ability to work under limited supervision to tight deadlines.
About Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
Mercedes-Benz has been setting the standard in racing for over 100 years, and the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS Formula One™ Team continues the proud history of the legendary Silver Arrows.